Thursday, November 29, 2007

Party as a path to Culture

Holiday parties can sometimes be deadly affairs. Cramped in a restaurant sitting next to boring spouses talking about their kids (yep - I have been one of those boring spouses).

But done well they are a wonderful stepping stone on the path to building a tight team. Teams that work together, win and lose together, and play together become bonded for life. Some of my most fun evenings have been with my exec team members after winning a big deal, finishing a great year or closing a transaction.

This year we are holding two holiday parties for FirstRain, one on each coast. And this year I decided to host them both at home. So last night I had 36 rainmakers and spouses to my New York apartment for a party, and then on to an Upper East Side bar. It was a terrific evening. We have mostly sales people in our New York office so the energy level was high (it got very loud...) and we have an interesting mixed crowd: 3 years of experience and 30, men and women, technical and financial types. Plus my killer cosmos.

Everyone had a great time - and we have evidence...










1 comment:

Any Donkey said...

Penny - looks like fun. Just yesterday I was discussing office parties with a dentist friend. He decided to have his office party at lunch this year - no spouses. He has about a dozen employees. It was an interesting topic.

I'd be curious to learn you thoughts - other than the public spin of a CEO - on the topic of office parties in general. I think they are not positive events, but the absent of them is negative.

Maybe you can blog about annual shareholder meetings in general? What is the purpose - other than it is required? Is it just for the crazies to have a forum? Can a shareholder meeting be a benefit to the company? How does a company make it a worthwhile event?

Keep blogging.

There was an error in this gadget