Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Blog on March 24th for Ada Lovelace Day

Are you willing to get involved in supporting tech women? That's the question being asked by Suw Charman-Anderson on her blog Chocolate and Vodka today. She says she's never really weighed in on the gender issue before but in response to the "stupid puerile misogynistic manner with which some of the more powerful voices in the tech community - some of them repeat offenders - treat women" she's putting together a pledge drive to get people to blog about women in technology. Her pledge is:

“I will publish a blog post on Tuesday 24th March about a woman in technology whom I admire but only if 1,000 other people will do the same.”

The issue Suw is mobilizing behind is an issue very familiar to me and one I don't comment on very often - it's just not worth it. But there is a bit of a frat boy culture that has developed in the web world which is unnecessary so I am hoping it's a passing phase in a young industry. When I worked in semiconductor in the late 80s and 90s I expected it to be old school, and to a great extent things have changed very much for the better, but there's room for improvement and the Ada Lovelace Day is a nice idea to celebrate the good.

Will you sign on too? - there's a link on the right.

No comments:

There was an error in this gadget