Friday, August 21, 2009

Cool technology: Samsung Sun Drive

After a 3 week hiatus from my blog (temporary brain cramp on writing) I am back and thought I'd start with the coolest piece of technology I saw thing morning when browsing (and QAing) our new research engine:

The new Zyrus Sun Drive - a thumb sized USB solar power supply! Just the thing for the nomad. We've used solar power packs for our devices when camping before - they are not new. What I find intriguing about this one is the size. It's a pocket size charger and sells for 29,000 Won or about $23 and claims more than 90 minutes of talk time - enough for your average conference call from the beach when you've worn down your battery working on email (which happens to me a lot).

Of course the truly useful product for me would be a battery powered iPhone. Today Samsung sells a good looking solar powered phone and I know I am not the only one with this need - Safaricom is launching a solar power phone service into Kenya made entirely from recycled materials (something I'll clearly need for my next major adventure) - but I confess I do love my iPhone and so hopefully Apple will one day add a sleek solar panel to it.

But if not - I may well switch phones to be fully express my nomad self.

No comments:

There was an error in this gadget