Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Named one of the top 10 women in microelectronics

I was honored today to be named one of the top 10 women in microelectronics by EE Times - you can see the article here.

It's very nice to be recognized, but the fact that I am being recognized 6 years since I left the industry is also indicative of the sad state of affairs - just how few women make it to the top in that field. The other women in the list are almost all women I know well - there were so few of us how could we not get to know one another?

I am on the Anita Borg Institute board - and this is the reason. There are simply not enough girls in the U.S. staying in math and physics in high school, and not enough girls in the U.S. studying engineering in college and as a result we have too few coming up the technical ranks. It's a huge exposure for us as a country to be tolerating an education system and media bias which discourages 50% of our population from participating in the critical technology areas that will lead the world in the future. Nuff said - I'll step back down off my soap box now.

2 comments:

Narender said...

Congrats, you deserve this.

Jason Hull (jason@mavenconsulting.com) said...

Congratulations!

There was an error in this gadget