Saturday, December 11, 2010

The planned parenthood energizer bunny

Time is an ongoing challenge and never more so than on a Saturday morning when I have a millions things to do --- and I have a board meeting to get to. I gulp, I rush, I go, and I am always glad I do when I get there.

Today I am at the quarterly board meeting for Planned Parenthood Mar Monte. The board is made up of people from all walks of life. Health care, politics, the law, government and foundations. And me, the one from "industry". It's always fascinating to hear from the worlds so different from my own - especially California politics.

Our ongoing challenge here is the California budget. We receive funding for family planning from the state and the Feds give us more $9 for every $1 we get from the state. So we are a net gain, and save money for the state by providing family planning services, but in the current dire CA fiscal crisis every decision is short term survival not necessarily long term.

But as one of our board members pointed out, PPMM is like the Energizer Bunny. The management team just keeps drumming. No matter what happens the organization keeps going, keeps growing, and keeps focused on the mission:

"to ensure that every individual has the knowledge, opportunity and freedom to make every child a wanted child and every family a healthy family."

And with two new counties coming up (San Mateo and Alameda) they are going to need their extra batteries!




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

There was an error in this gadget