Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Sheen and Gadhafi - brothers in addiction and delusion

Speed reading my way through the news today I was struck by the similarity between Charlie Sheen and Moammar Gadhafi. Odd you say - Hollywood royalty and a North African dictator - huh?

But to my reading they are brothers in addiction and delusion.

The addiction is obvious - One is addicted to power and wealth - he controls 98% of the wealth in the world's 12th largest oil producing country, the other is addicted to who-knows-what chemical substance(s) and the spot light.

The delusion is even more interesting. Gadhafi (from CNN) "They love me, all my people with me, they love me all. They will die to protect me, my people." -- as his people arm, march and Tripoli and prepare to die for their freedom. Sheen (ref CNN again) told NBC's "Today Show" that he has "tiger blood and Adonis DNA."

"I'm tired of pretending like I'm not special," Sheen said in that interview. "I'm tired of pretending like I'm not bitching a total freaking rock star from Mars. And people can't figure me out. They can't process me. I don't expect them to. You can't process me with a normal brain"

Both are clearly nutty as a fruit cake - one made so by years of absolute power and isolation from normalcy, the other by years of drugs and also isolation from normalcy. Forcefully hanging onto position and power - Gadhafi's using guns, Sheen's using lawyers.

Courtesy of Steve Kelley:

It's sad though that no matter how funny their rants are in the abstract, one or both may die before their ranting is done.

No comments:

There was an error in this gadget