Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Is your fish fresh?

A story against myself. In a restaurant in the fishing harbor in Naples yesterday, I spied sea bass on the menu. Since it was Monday and I know the fish market is not open on Monday I ask "Is your fish fresh - when was it caught?".

The waiter grins at me and says "One moment - I'll check".

I'm thinking "I know I saw the fish display on the street side, maybe they were caught on Saturday, but then why is he grinning at me?"

Our waiter returns with a whole bass on a plate and presents it to me to check the eyes, at which point this fish flips it's tail and jumps up above the plate. I came out of my chair laughing!

I am happy to report he was delicious once dead and grilled with lemon and olive oil.

No comments:

There was an error in this gadget