Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Techniques for Advantage-Makers

I had the great pleasure of traveling to Bangalore before Christmas to attend the first full India Grace Hopper Conference. I'm on the board of the Anita Board Institute so I had two hats on for the conference i) as the resident board member to meet, greet and press the flesh and ii) to be on a panel hosted by our India MD, Aparna Gupta.

The first was fun to meet so many new people who are running India-based operations. The second was, as these things usually are, very interesting.

The term "advantage makers" comes from a book by my friend Steven Feinberg called The Advantage-Makers: How Exceptional Leaders Win by Creating Opportunities Others Don't and the panel put together experienced execs from the US and India to talk about some of the techniques that work.

Some good stories in here - from IBM experience, from old Oracle days, from ThoughtWorks and what we've learned -- and my experience building companies. I spoke on the need to pull back and look at problem more completely - pulling back above the traffic to see how to get through it.


No comments:

There was an error in this gadget